NASTAR Resort Franchise Information
07.02.2018 | Bill Madsen
NASTAR RESORT INFORMATION
Sign-up by Oct. 1st and save
(Click the links above to join NASTAR. Download, execute and return the contract, order race course materials and complete the information form)
NASTAR Resort Franchise Fee: $2,100
- Contract must be received by October 1st via Email or US Mail
- An invoice can be mailed upon receipt of the contract
- Resort must name NASTAR as an additional insured on their certificate of insurance
- Franchise fee does not include the cost of medals. NASTAR medals must be order through Lasting Impressions: Cheryl 800-767-9577, email@example.com
Make Checks Payable to: U.S. Ski Team
U.S. Ski Team
Attn: Bill Madsen
1 Victory Lane
Park City, UT 84060
-To register by Oct. 1, 2018. U.S. Ski & Snowboard must receive an executed contract, materials order form and resort information form.
After October 1st, NASTAR Resort Franchise Fee: $2,250
NASTAR = NATIONAL STANDARD RACE
The NASTAR program is operated by U.S. Ski & Snowboard and it is the premier youth feeder program for the U.S. Ski Team.
- NASTAR handicap system is used to time and score recreational races and race leagues across the country that are tied together with a common scoring system.
- Racers can qualify for the NASTAR National Championships by racing NASTAR and winning medals at their favorite resorts or at Regional Championship events.
Participants earn Handicaps based on their ability and they can win Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze medals embossed with the host resort’s name.
NASTAR Resorts are listed online:
- All NASTAR resorts are listed online under the RACE tab at nastar.com.
- A link to the host resort’s website, contact information and race schedule is listed online. 72,192 average monthly page views.
- We encourage host resorts to create a NASTAR page on their website and link to their NASTAR results.
- The NASTAR newsletter is sent to 30,000+ participants bimonthly and weekly around major events.
- Features include: special events, participant news, NASTAR resort events, U.S. Ski Team updates and more
Ski Racing Magazine
- NASTAR has partnered with Ski Racing Magazine to provide NASTAR content and promotion for the brand.
- Ski Racing Magazine provides video content and highlights of events.
- SKI magazine, founder and media partner of the NASTAR program, promotes NASTAR through a season-long brand campaign and advertising schedule. SKI Magazine generates significant awareness for the NASTAR program and the host resorts by running five (5) program-specific 4C full-page ads throughout the season. 300,000 subscribers.
- NASTAR promotional eblast
- NASTAR maintains a strong presence on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We work with resorts to share their posts and promote their programs.
- Broadcast and Digital Content. U.S. Ski & Snowboard produces NASTAR specific content to be included in the broadcasts of Alpine World Cup on NBC and NBC Sports Network. U.S. Ski & Snowboard, in partnership with Ski Racing also produces NASTAR specific digital content throughout the season that is distributed via digital and social networks
NASTAR supplies resorts with all of the tools necessary to host NASTAR races
- Timing software, website, registration forms, bib numbers, gate panels, start, finish and race today banners, Pacesetter bib, coroplast signs and supplemental promotional information.
- Host resort provides hardware
- Gates and timing equipment.
- NASTAR has developed an optional, low cost, RFID system to improve efficiency
The host resort collects and keeps all entry fees
- There are recommended guidelines for pricing but the resorts’ revenue is not shared with NASTAR.
- Many resorts will sell a season pass to race their NASTAR course.
Live race results are recorded online during the race
- Official results are posted immediately following the race.
- National, State & Resort Rankings are updated nightly.
- Race leagues and team scores are easily managed and accumulated results are tracked online
Race staff must attend a regional Pacesetting Trial to establish Handicaps
- Each resort must have a minimum of two (2) Pacesetters with certified NASTAR Pacesetting Handicaps.
- A Pacesetter’s Handicap is used to set the National Standard or Par Time for each NASTAR race.
- The Pacesetter’s Handicap is divided by his/her time to establish the time that the National Pacesetter, Ted Ligety, would have skied the course had he been there that day.
- Each resort is ultimately responsible for the location and set up of their NASTAR race venue. NASTAR encourages resorts to place their race venue on a trail in a high-profile location (i.e. visible from a high-traffic lift or lodge).
- Resorts have the option to set single or dual courses. Race courses should be about 350 meters in length.
- NASTAR Giant Slalom (GS) courses must be set with 18-22 meters of space between gates vertically and 4-8 meters of offset.
- NASTAR Slalom (SL) courses must be set with 10-12 meters of space between gates vertically and 2-6 meters of offset.
There are separate rankings for GS & SL races.
NASTAR encourages resorts to standardize their GS course(s) to have a Par Time of 23 seconds. Gates are set 18-22 meters apart with 4-8 meters of off-set. Courses must not be within 5% of the Cap Time. The Cap Time is defined as the time it takes a Pacesetter to tuck from the start to the finish of the course without going around gates and is the fastest possible time the venue will allow. This rule forces the course setter to put turns in the course.
Due to a number of variables at each resort, the look and feel of each race venue will vary according to the resort.
RACE VENUE MATERIALS
Participating NASTAR resorts are supplied with all of the promotional materials needed to set-up a public recreational race venue.
NASTAR resorts can select vertical self-standing banners or 12' x 3' horizontal banners for Start, Finish and Race Today.
Below is a list of materials you will receive as a member of NASTAR.
- Timing & Scoring software
- Registration Forms
- Participant bibs
- Gate panels
- Start, Finish & Race Today banners
- 12' x 3' banners or Wind Wing self-standing banners
- Register Here sign
- Information sign
- Start panels
- coroplast- horizontal and vertical options
- Directional Sign
- imprinted with your race trail name and includes a self standing banner frame
- Dry erase scoreboard
- Handicap chart
- Pacesetter bib